Happy New Year! I toyed with opening this post by sharing quotes that were lofty (“There are far, far better things ahead than any we left behind.” – CS Lewis) or funny (“Dear 2012: Don’t let the door hit you in the bum on the way out.”). But I think my dear friend, entertainment lawyer Steve Sidman, captured it best when he posted “Welcome 2013 — another chance to try my hardest to get it right.”
In 2012, Creating Results tried its hardest to get it right. In addition to creating effective, award-winning work for clients, we shared links to new research, articles and other actionable resources for marketing to matures via this blog and other social channels. Which links hit the mark? Here are the top 10 of 2012, as measured by clicks and shares on Twitter, LinkedIn and other platforms.
10. How To Be Creative: A terrific piece in the Wall Street Journal on how we all can – and should – innovate. http://ow.ly/9CLjz
10. Social Media & Seniors – The Rules are Changing: Blogger Steve Olenski writes in SocialMediaToday that if a marketer ignores the 65+ demo, “you’re an idiot.” http://bit.ly/M2MNOE
9. The 7 categories of travel that appeal to big-spending baby boomers: An Engage:Boomers blog post notes that boomers purchase 80% of luxury travel, and breaks out popular travel categories. http://ow.ly/cQOJJ
8. Hospice industry diversifies, grows as baby boomers age: A Wall Street Journal article suggests that “This is not getting ready to die” http://ow.ly/c1UeQ
7. If your image of retirees is old people in Florida, think again: A Sun Sentinel article explores the ways Florida is fighting to lure baby boomers. http://ow.ly/8WEHM
6. Instant America: 1 in 4 people will abandon a web page if it takes more than 4 seconds to load. An infographic that also shows trends in mobile adoption. http://ow.ly/9Ke41
5. What Older People Do Online: A Creating Results infographic with data on web, email and social media use by baby boomers and seniors. http://bit.ly/CRWeb1
4. The Uneven Aging of America: This interactive chart from AdAge allows you to enter a zip code and learn what the change in the senior (65+) population has been between 2000 and 2010. http://bit.ly/NzcAyW
3. It’s Loyalty, My Dear Boomer, Email Loyalty: The key elements for using email to market to baby boomers and beyond. http://bit.ly/KrqOQq
2. Pinterest 101 - A Primer for the Uninitiated or Uninterested: The first post in a series on what Pinterest is, who is using it, and what the benefits could be for your brand. http://bit.ly/KDAA3i
And receiving the most clicks, shares and discussion:
1. Mind the (Social Media) Gap, Keep Web Simple for Boomer Success: This post shared two pieces of online marketing advice that resonated with readers. http://bit.ly/TEqUbW
Thank you for all you did in 2012 — reading this blog, sharing your thoughts in the comments section, clicking our links and passing along the resources we share. The team at Creating Results is grateful for 2013 and the new chance we’ve been given to try our hardest and get it right.