everything mature consumers experiencebranding | marketing | web | pr | displays | advertising
Marketing and Motivating Boomers and Beyond

US Social Network Users by Age Group – New Statistics From Pew

February 19th, 2013 Posted by Erin Read

The Pew Research Internet and American Life Project has released new statistics on who is using social media by age group. Curious as to which social platforms are attracting the most baby boomers and seniors? Here is a Q&A that could guide your decisions regarding marketing to matures on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and the like.

Q. Are older users even using online social networks?

A. Per Pew, 52% of wired boomers are using social networking sites. 32% of online seniors over 65 are using social networking sites.

Q. What percentage of boomers and seniors are on Facebook?

A. 57% of boomer Internet users are using Facebook, along with 35% of online seniors. (This new data from Pew echoes Creating Results’ Social, Silver Surfers research which found that Facebook had the highest awareness among older users, and the highest usage rates of any social network other than YouTube.)

Q. What social networks aren’t older users using?

A. Only a small fraction of matures are using Instagram (5% of 50+ers online) and Tumblr (4% of 50+ers online).

Q. If I want to market to baby boomers and seniors, should I spend my time on Twitter or Pinterest?

A. 10% of baby boomers and 2% of 65+ seniors are using Twitter, for a total of 12% of 50+ers online. 12% of baby boomers and 4% of seniors are using Pinterest, for a total of 16% of 50+ers online. (Learn more about Pinterest and marketing to 50+ers.)

Chart - US Social Network Users by Age Group; Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest

Q. Is the number of older adults joining online social networks continuing to grow?

A. Pew data actually shows that, for the first time in years, there was a decline in the percentage of Internet users aged 50-64 and those 65 and over (38% vs. 32%) using social networking sites. In fact, there was a decline among Internet users of all ages using online social networks.

graph - social networking site use by age - Pew Internet

To find Pew’s full report, which has stats on US social networkers of all ages, income levels and education, follow this link: http://bit.ly/XJ496M.

What do you think — is there anything new or surprising in this data? Will these statistics about social networkers by age group change your organization’s social media marketing approach?

Please be social and share your comments below!


P.S. We are launching a new study to see how the attitudes of Social, Silver Surfershave changed in two years. If you want to participate in this turnkey research opportunity, email erin@creatingresults.com.

9 Responses to “US Social Network Users by Age Group – New Statistics From Pew”

  1. […] everything mature consumers experiencebranding | marketing | web | pr | displays | advertising The Company | Strategic Solutions | Results Created | Contact Mature Marketing MattersMarketing and Motivating Boomers and Beyond « US Social Network Users by Age Group – New Statistics From Pew […]

  2. […] since you asked, Jeff …  Facebook is the #1 social network used by older Internet users. Per the Pew Internet and American Life Project,  52% of boomers are using social networks. 57% of […]

  3. […] a larger audience. According to Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project, 52% of Internet Users aged 50-64 are using social networking sites, as are 32% of 65+ers online.  Pew’s 2012 Generations Report found that 90% of online […]

  4. […] A good recent article in Mature Marketing Matters – Blog by Creating Results, LLC entitled US Social Network Users by Age Group – New Statistics from Pew, February 19th, 2013, posted by Erin Read, does just […]

  5. […] who are in age groups that are highly active on social media websites, those ages 18-29 and 30-49, (US Social Network Users by Age Group Statistics) then yes, you will most likely see a benefit from social media activities. However, if your primary […]

  6. […] people getting involved in a political debate! Now consider that the biggest age demographic, or 27% of Twitter’s users, are between 18-29 years old (that doesn’t even include the huge amounts of users under 18). That means there was a huge […]

  7. […] Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Tumblr (I have no idea what Tumblr is – help me out) a study done by CreatingResults.com showed that 83% of 18-29 year olds use the aforementioned sites.  77% of 30-49 year-olds use the […]

  8. Cherrie Hub says:

    great facts, and yes, quite surprising was to discover how small percentage of mature consumers use Twitter, comparing to Facebook. Twitter is still great SEO tool, yet I think I need to focus my efforts more on Facebook. Still love Pinterest, and I’m glad mature customers visit this site too. Instagram – yes it must be favoured by teens and younger audience. Great read, I’m glad I stumbled upon it :)

Leave a Reply

©2008-2015  Creating Results, LLC  |  Mid Atlantic: 703.494.7888  |  New England: 401.289.2500  |  Privacy Notice

Creative Commons License
Mature Marketing Matters - Blog by Creating Results, LLC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Based on a work at www.maturemarketingmatters.com. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.CreatingResults.com.

A 2013 Finalist - Best of Senior Living Awards


Our Work
Case Studies