Mature Marketing Links of the Week – You Tell ‘Em, Seniors
It’s a sad fact for many seniors that as they age, they feel ignored. (Certainly most of today’s youth-focused advertising overlooks older adults!) This week’s recap of top mature marketing links shares two stories that buck that trend.
1. MOST CLICKED: At 90, Barbara Beskind is designing tech for aging boomers.
After seeing a feature on the innovation firm, IDEO, in which the founder emphasized the need for a diverse team, she wrote the firm. Her hiring added a new kind of diversity: age.
Beskind also has macular degeneration, making her perspective highly valued at a company designing products to help aging consumers.
“Beskind says as she gets older and faces new problems in the world, she’s thankful she’s a designer. ‘It makes aging more tolerable, more enjoyable,” she says. “I enjoy the age I’m in. I think it’s one of the best chapters of my life.'”
Hear the story on NPR: http://n.pr/1JsTMi0
A not-unrelated stat: The average age of a Creating Results team member is 42 years old. Our maturity means that clients don’t have to struggle with a 22-year-old designer who wants to be cool and trendy; we get the need to balance fresh creative with considerations for aging eyes. And we are, many of us, in the lifestage our clients market to. We’re wondering about our next chapters, helping aging parents find the right housing solutions, planning for retirement of some sort …
2. MOST SHARED: If you could say ONE thing to a younger person, what would it be? A YouTube producer called Freddy Fairhair (yup) asked seniors in a number of countries that question. Their answers proved inspiring to Creating Results’ followers on various social platforms!
What advice would YOU give? You don’t have to be a senior … Thoughts from all our readers are welcome in the comments below.
3. Also of note: Tech tips topped the Twit parade this week –
* Via SurveyGizmo (my personal favorite for online polling and surveying): Handy 9 point checklist for optimizing your PPC landing pages http://bit.ly/1LaO9qw
* Via Hurricane Media: How to create an engaging, “winning” YouTube channel http://bit.ly/1yV6YZW
* Via Duct Tape Marketing: 5 ways to get the most out of social media marketing. http://bit.ly/1EMdhiU We’d of course add a 6th way: study how the boomer and senior audiences differ from other ages! http://bit.ly/SocSilTw
George Bernard Shaw wrote that “We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future.” At Creating Results, we’re looking forward to another week doing what we can to create a more positive future for older adults. Happy Monday!